I've just learned about this app a friend of a friend recommended so I thought I'd share. Of course I'm old and behind the times so feel free to wag your finger at me for being late, young people. Also, I'm in the US so I'm not sure if this is applicable in other countries.
Let's go to it:
1. What is shopkick?
- It's an app in the iStore/playstore that uses your GPS & Bluetooth to track nearby applicable vendors/stores. You earn points for doing certain tasks. The idea for this app is not new but this may be more functional than some others.
Note: This depends on the stores and the day in which you go because it can change. You can redeem points at each store once a day. Some typical ways to earn are:
- Walking into the store. (Walk in or near the entrance and then load your app.)
- Scan the bar code(s) of the items on the list. Load the scan option and it will tell you which products you can scan. Once you find it, click on the item and the camera will load. Hold it over the bar code and it will validate the code.
- Buy something. This is based on promos. For example, sometimes, every $1 purchased equals 1 point (the app will tell you which stores have this active promo). This requires a credit/debit card to be linked to the app and points are credited for purchases made by the designated card at the applicable shops. Personally, I'm not comfortable linking any card info to apps so I've not used it.
- Send in your receipts. There may be promotional items which if you purchase, they'll give you a certain amount of points after a receipt is loaded. I don't know if they'll let you keep the points if you return the items or not. I don't use this option unless I planned to purchase the item anyway.
- Load the App daily to get point(s).
- Charitable donation contributions, gift cards & stuff... even a Vespa if you manage to accumulate 1.875 million kicks.
- As of now, I see 75 kicks for earning one point toward your American Eagle Rewards account (if you have one). The next level is 100 kicks for Feeding America and American Red Cross. The first gift card I see is for Walmart, 500 kicks for $2 but you can choose the level of redemption (ie $5, $25, etc).
- I hear there are promos near holidays where instead of say... 30 points, they'll give you 150 just for loading the app after walking into the store. I know a guy who just walks in and out of stores whenever he's near a strip mall. (One disclaimer, a coworker went to a mall where the shops are a little crowded together and said she didn't receive any points. I wasn't there so I don't know if it was user error or if the app couldn't discern location when the stores are all bunched together.)
- Refer a friend. Currently, you will earn 50% of your friends' kicks in their first two weeks after signing up (via your referral link) up to 2500 kicks per successful invite/100 invite max. That is a whole lot of points if you have lots of friends who shop.
That's all the info I have for Shopkick for now. TTYL.